Focal Utopia (2022) Open-Back Headphones
Sound purity at its finest
Experience sensational listening quality at home with Utopia, the exceptional headphones made in France by Focal, and the fruit of over 40 years of sound innovation. Unveiled in 2016, it returns in 2022 with a reworked design and improvements to the sound for even more music-inspired emotion.
Everything disappears…but the music
Utopia incorporates full-range speaker drivers with a pure Beryllium ‘M’-shaped dome, completely open at the back. The result is a set of speaker drivers that run with zero active or passive correction, from 5Hz to over 50 kHz. The headphones totally disappear, leaving audio signal reproduction that is unrivaled in its purity.
No detail too small
Utopia is made from premium, sophisticated materials. The yoke, made from forged, recycled carbon, is lightweight and evenly distributes the weight across the head. The genuine leather headband and perforated memory foam ear pads—also leather-bound—provide comfort and softness.
A new, reworked design
Utopia is a combination of sobriety and distinction. Adopting the aesthetics of Focal's open-back (Clear Mg) and closed-back (Stellia and Celestee) headphones, it features honeycomb grilles on the outside and inside of the ear-cups. In addition to its Black Chrome-coloured rings—now screwed on from the inside—it delivers subtle and sophisticated aesthetic details, such as red glimpses of the speaker drivers’ motor unit or the Yin & Yang effect visible on the outer case, symbolizing design and technology in perfect harmony.
These headphones require a running-in period in order to operate at their best. They will run themselves in naturally after several hours of listening time. If you want to speed up the process, Focal recommends playing very bassy music through them for at least 24 hours at a relatively high volume. This will stabilize the speaker drivers and allow you to get the very best out of your headphones.
- High-end, open-back, high-fidelity headphones for home use
- Full-range speaker driver with ‘M’-shaped, pure Beryllium dome: pure, dynamic and perfectly balanced sound
- Made in France in the Focal workshops
- Design that adapts to all head morphologies: optimum comfort
- Premium materials and sophisticated finishes: genuine leather, forged, recycled carbon, aluminum, etc.
- Type: Circum-aural, open-back headphones
- Impedance: 80Ω
- Sensitivity: 104dB SPL / 1mW @ 1kHz
- THD: <0.2 % @ 1kHz / 100dB SPL
- Frequency response: 5Hz – 50kHz
- Speaker driver: 19/16" (40mm) pure beryllium 'M'-shaped dome
- Weight: 1.08lbs (490g)
- Cables provided
- 1 x 5ft cable (1.5m) with 1 x 1/8" (3.5mm) asymmetric TRS Jack connector and 2 x Lemo® connectors
- 1 x 10ft cable (3m) with 1 x symmetrical 4-point XLR connector and 2 Lemo® connectors
- 1 x Jack adapter, 1/8" (3.5mm) point socket – 1/4" (6.35mm) point plug
- Carrying case included 9.8x9.4x4.7" (25x24x12cm)
- Black faux leather case
- High-Fidelity cables:
- 5ft. (1.5m) cable, designed to be portable with an unbalanced 1/8” (3.5mm) stereo jack connector and two Lemo®connectors
- 10ft. (3m) cable, ideal for use in the home on a high-end amplifier, thanks to its balanced 4-pin XLR connector and two Lemo® connectors.
- 1 x Jack adapter, 1/8" (3.5mm) female – 1/4” (6.35mm) male.
- A lightweight, hard-back carry case in black fabric
- Optional: a stand allowing you to display the Utopia headphones indoors