TOPPING A30 Pro Desktop Headphone Amp
Power, performance, and practical new features
The A30 Pro is the all-new (Spring 2021) desktop headphone amp from TOPPING. Four years is the length of time since the release of the Pro’s predecessor; it’s also the length of a college education, and boy, has this thing been to school.
Boasting six times the power, double the inputs, and massive gains in SNR and THD+N over the original (not to mention some practical new features), the A30 Pro is an excellent choice for the modern music lover looking for an amp that can do it all.
Six watts per channel
The TOPPING A30 Pro outputs 6,000 milliwatts per channel at 16Ω, 5,500 milliwatts per channel at 32Ω, and 840mw per channel at 300Ω. With can-rattling wattage like that, it can easily power notoriously hard-to-drive full-size headphones like the Sennheiser HD 660 S and the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro.
99.99994% distortion-and-noise-free signal
The A30 Pro has a Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise rating of 0.00006%, meaning that its signal is 99.99994% free of distortion and noise. To make this concept a bit clearer, let’s use an analogy. Imagine that the A30 Pro outputs liquid instead of sound. If you were to pour a soda can’s worth of liquid from it, that liquid would be completely pure except for about 0.019 milliliters, or less than the volume of a single droplet.
145dB dynamic range
Thanks to its NFCA-based circuit and UHGF (ultra high gain feedback) technology, the A30 Pro delivers a stunning 145dB of dynamic range. This means that 145dB exists between the lowest and highest volumes of sound it can reproduce, resulting in exceptionally realistic playback.
Say goodbye to ground loop noise
When multiple pieces of equipment are used in conjunction, ground loop noise can occur. Ground loop noise most often manifests as a buzzing or humming sound, which is capable of being loud enough to damage speakers. Although it's known to happen most often in single-ended feeds, it can happen in balanced feeds, too.
The A30 Pro solves this issue with a GND/LIFT switch. When in normal use, set the switch to GND. If you encounter ground loop noise, set the switch to LIFT, which will change the ground point of the A30 Pro from its chassis to the equipment it’s connected to, eliminating the noise.
Single-ended and balanced input passthrough
When powered down, the A30 Pro passes the input signal directly through to RCA or TRS without applying amplification. This allows you to connect active monitors to the A30 Pro and get the benefits of an outboard DAC without introducing another amp into the chain.
Even better, the TOPPING D30 Pro functions as a pre-amplifier, allowing you to control the volume of active monitors on its front plate or with the included remote control.
Three-step gain switch
A three-step gain switch adapts the A30 Pro to the huge sensitivity gap between IEMs and full-size headphones. From -14dB on the low setting to +14dB on the high setting, the function spans an impressive 28dB.
Made to pair with the D30 Pro Desktop DAC
The A30 Pro and D30 Pro share the same spatial dimensions, making them easily stackable. At a combined 4” of height, they’re modest enough to fit under a monitor, in a desk compartment, or on a space-restricted shelf. Get them in black, silver, or mix and match for a more eye-catching dynamic.
- 6W x 2 @ 16Ω output power
- Bypass output when power off
- Balanced input/output
- 3 Outputs: 4-pin XLR, 4.4mm, 6.35mm
- THD+N: <0.00006%
- Noise: <0.3uVrms
- Power: 100-240VAC 50Hz/60Hz
- Gain switch: Low (-14dB), Medium (0dB), High (+14dB)
- 3 Inputs: XLR (L+R), RCA (L+R)
- Passthrough outputs: 6.35mm TRS (L+R), RCA (L+R)
- Power consumption: <9W
- Output power:
- 6W x2 @ 16Ω THD+N <0.1%
- 5,500mW x2 @ 32Ω THD+N <0.1%
- 840mW x2 @300Ω THD+N <0.1%
- THD+N @1kHz A-wt
- SE IN: <0.00007% @ 3.5W (32Ω), <0.00006% @ 90mW (300Ω)
- BAL IN: <0.00007% @ 3.2W (32Ω), <0.00006% @ 86mW (300Ω)
- THD @ 20-20,000Hz 90kBW
- SE IN: <0.00008% @ 760mW (32Ω), <0.00007% @ 81mW (300Ω)
- BAL IN: <0.00008% @ 760mW (32Ω), <0.00007% @ 81mW (300Ω)
- SNR @ MAX OUT 1kHz A-wt
- SE IN: 145dB
- BAL IN: 140dB
- SNR @50mV OUT 1kHz
- SE IN: 104dB
- BAL IN: 104dB
- Dynamic range @1kHz A-wt
- SE IN: 145dB
- BAL IN: 140dB
- Frequency response
- SE IN: 20-40,000Hz (±0.05dB)
- BAL IN: 20-40,000Hz (±0.1dB)
- Output level
- SE IN: 34Vpp @ low gain, 34Vpp @ medium gain, 45Vpp @ high gain
- BAL IN: 6.6Vpp @ low gain, 34Vpp @ medium gain, 45Vpp @ high gain
- AP measured noise level @A-wt
- SE IN: <0.7uVrms @ low gain, 0.7uVrms @ medium gain, 1.2 uVrms @ high gain
- BAL IN: <0.7uVrms @ low gain, <0.7uVrms @ medium gain, <1.2 uVrms @ high gain
- Actual noise level
- SE IN: <0.3uVrms @ low gain, <0.3uVrms @ medium gain, <0.9uVrms @ high gain
- BAL IN: <0.3uVrms @ low gain, <0.3uVrms @ medium gain, <1.1uVrms @ high gain
- Channel crosstalk @1kHz
- SE IN: -106dB
- BAL IN: -101dB
- IMD CCIF @(18kHz+19kHz)
- SE IN: -116dB
- BAL IN: -116dB
- IMD SMPTE @(60Hz+7kHz)
- SE IN: -110dB@SMPTE4: 1, -115dB@SMPTE1: 1
- BAL IN: -110dB@SMPTE4: 1, -116dB@SMPTE1: 1
- Input sensitivity
- SE IN: 60Vrms @ low gain, 12.6Vrms @ medium gain, 2.7Vrms @ high gain
- BAL IN: 12.7Vrms @ low gain, 12.7Vrms @ medium gain, 2.7Vrms @ high gain
- SE IN: -14dB @ low gain, 0dB @ medium gain, 14dB @ high gain
- BAL IN: -14dB @ low gain, 0dB @ medium gain, 14dB @ high gain
- Output impedance
- SE IN: <0.1Ω
- BAL IN: <0.1Ω
- Adapter impedance: >8Ω
- Manufacturer’s note: The actual noise level is obtained by boosting the noise of the A30 Pro by 40dB using a low noise amplifier in front of the APx555B and then dividing the measured noise by 100 times.
- Weight: 1.9lbs (870g)
- Dimensions: 6.85 x 5.4 x 1.7” (17.4 x 13.8 x 4.5cm)
- A30 Pro
- AC cable
- 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptor
- User manual
- Warranty card