Audio-Technica ATH-W2022 Closed-Back Dynamic Wooden Headphones
Note: This is a pre-order for the ATH-W2022 Headphone; first orders will ship Jan 2023. This product is Final Sale and not returnable. Very limited units are being produced with even less units available for US. The headphone can be exchanged within 7 days of receiving the product in case of manufacturing defects.
A celebration of timeless audio design
In celebration of their 60th anniversary, Audio-Technica has introduced the ATH-W2022 – new signature wooden headphones that honor their enduring commitment to analog audio and its power to touch our innermost selves.
Sourced and assembled in Japan
Sourced and assembled entirely in Japan, the ATH-W2022 blends technological innovation with traditional artistry to fashion a timeless audio component of refined elegance. The housings are expertly crafted from Mizume (Japanese birch) and finished with traditional urushi lacquer – just like their first wooden headphones, the ATH-W10VTG – to deliver pure tone quality with natural reverberation.
Sakura (cherry blossom) and hou-ou phoenix designs are hand-painted on the left and right houses, respectively, using the Japanese maki-e lacquer technique, with the right housing also incorporating mother-of-pearl.
The housings are suspended from arms shaped to recall the winged slope of irimoya roofs of many Japanese temples. Deerskin is used for the earpads and headband to provide long-lasting durability and comfort.
New tech, timeless design
Within the exquisite housings are baffle-integrated 58 mm drivers that were specially developed and optimized for these closed-back headphones. Audio-Technica has designed a new magnet circuit that incorporates a pole and yoke structured from laminated pure iron plates to reduce back electromotive force (back EFM).
The diaphragm is comprised of a pure titanium center dome, pressed to a thickness of 30 microns (0.03 mm). This construction places an emphasis on mid-high range audio reproduction with excellent high-frequency response.
- The very finest Audio-Technica wooden headphones – developed to commemorate their 60th anniversary
- Housings crafted from Mizume (Japanese birch) and finished with traditional urushi lacquer to deliver pure tone quality with natural reverberation
- Sakura (cherry blossom) and hou-ou phoenix designs are hand-painted on the housings using the Japanese maki-e lacquer technique
- Specially developed, baffle-integrated 58 mm drivers are optimized for closed-back headphones, delivering incredibly fast response to the input signal
- Innovative Core Mount Technology, adopted from the ATH-ADX5000, places driver unit in optimal position for improved airflow and excellent full-range audio reproduction
- Newly designed magnet circuit incorporates a pole and yoke structured from laminated pure iron plates to reduce back electromotive force (back EFM)
- The diaphragm’s center dome is made of 30-micron-thick pure titanium for exceptional reproduction of the mid-high range with excellent high-frequency characteristics as well
- Includes two detachable 3.0 m (9.8'), cloth-wrapped cables (with A2DC connectors at the headphones) made from 7N-class D.U.C.C. (Dia Ultra Crystallized Copper): one with a 6.3 mm (1/4") gold-plated stereo plug, the other with a 4-pin XLRM balanced connector
- Earpads and headband are made from deerskin for long-lasting durability and comfort
- Includes a wooden storage case constructed from Kiso cypress and white paulownia wood"
- Exclusive product: a limited number of units are available worldwide
- Type: Closed-back dynamic
- Driver diameter: 58mm
- Frequency response: 5 - 50,000Hz
- Maximum input power: 2,000mW
- Sensitivity: 98dB/mW
- Impedance: 48Ω
- Weight: 16oz (without cable)
- Connector: A2DC connector jack
- Cable (3.0 m (9.8’)/6.3 mm (1/4”) gold-plated stereo plug)
- Balanced cable (3.0 m (9.8’)/XLR-M connector (4-pin))
- Pouch (for storing cables)